Friday 30 April 2010

Palpatine gets my vote

What with the parliamentary election coming up I feel as though I should make an effort to get involved. As a 'first-time-voter' I've been encouraged to show an interest in the election in order to make an informed and well-reasoned vote based on what I believe to be the best for the nation. I have no idea which political party to vote for, so I figured that the best approach would be to work out who I don't want to vote for, and then chose whoever is left.

I've gone out of my way when searching for information on each of the political parties; pausing to watch news television channels before switching over to E4, listening to the radio when they broadcast amusing political bloopers, and browsing tabloid newspaper articles located next to the comic strips. I certainly feel as though I've covered all the angles.

But despite my relentless search for information I managed to learn only two things; that the public is given too much say in proceedings, and that politicians are easily distracted. Reading the public's opinions on the election campaign is like sitting next to your father whilst he contradicts every choice made by the teams playing in the FA Cup final. Why is it that the ill-informed general public has say over the experts who's job it is to run the nation? Fundamentally, our country uses the same election process as Strictly Come Dancing - I'm surprised that we can't vote using the Red Button.

Now I'm all for democracy, but it seems that the sort of political party I'd like to vote for is The Dark Side. The Emperor doesn't waste time squabbling with other politicians or searching for public appraisal. And he's not afraid to step on - or electrocute - a few Jedi toes to complete his political promises. Sure, he might blow most of the defence-budget on fancy Space Stations capable of destroying planets, but he makes up for it by cutting back on things like moisturiser, public relations, and target practice for Stormtroopers.

Perhaps I just want to see a politician willing to forego the customary search for mass commendation and replace it with dedicated, consequential work that actually makes a worthwhile difference in our society. Because the way I see it, if we stop asking the politicians to incessantly seek our approval, it might actually give them enough time to get on with their jobs. Then again, they might just spend their time endlessly chasing 'Rebel scum' across the galaxy - it's swings and roundabouts really.

2 comments:

  1. I really want to insult you but it's actually pretty good. oh and I also think I might mock you more if this didn't take you one step closer to barney stinson and thus one step closer to god. plus I agree on the Palpatine thing although I think if that's what your looking for Gordon brown is slowly shrivelling that way. and since this thing hasn't made me type in a name I should probably tell you it's matt and iron man 2 was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok so it did take a name, who knew?

    ReplyDelete